Treatment in Heart Hospital
Heart Hospital offers a wide range of treatments
Heart Hospital offers a wide range of treatments for your heart.
Heart Hospital’s cardiology unit is responsible for diagnosing heart diseases, planning care, cardiological procedures and monitoring. The cardiology unit has a continuous 24-hour standby service to carry out emergency cardiac procedures, such as coronary angioplasty.
Cardiology services include expert heart evaluations to determine the most appropriate treatment for coronary heart disease, arrhythmia, heart failure and valvular heart disease. In our investigations, we utilise ultrasound examinations (including 3-D TEE), ECG and ECG long-term registrations, clinical stress testing and CT, MRI and PET-CT examinations.
Treatment of coronary heart disease
Coronary angiography (CAG), heart rate measuring and angioplasty (PCI) using modern metal stents (BMS) and medical stents (DES). We also avail of comprehensive specialist techniques, such as IVUS, OCT, FFR, and rotablation.
Research and treatment of arrhythmia
- Invasive electrophysiology; treatment of arrhythmia by catheterisation techniques (including atrial fibrillation). In invasive treatments, we also use versatile speciality technologies, such as robot-assisted magnetic navigation, and Carto and Ensite modelling technology
- Pacemaker, (IPG), implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD), cardiac resynchronisation therapy (CRT) with defibrillator (CRT-D) or CRT with pacing (CRT-P)
Treatment of valvular defects and genetic heart diseases
- Heart catheterisation, myocardial biopsies
- Atrial septum defect closure (percutaneously with closure devices)
- Restoring effective blood flow to a blocked or narrowed aortic valve or mitral valve using balloon expansion or repairing it percutaneously using transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)
- Treating blood pressure invasively using renal denervation (RDN)
Cardiac monitoring and inpatient services
The unit has a cardiac monitoring ward for monitoring patients with an acute heart condition, a conventional cardiac ward, and an outpatient treatment room (for polyclinic procedures)
Cardio-thoracic surgery involves surgical procedures such as coronary artery bypass surgery and heart valve and aortic surgery. The cardio-thoracic surgery unit of Heart Hospital has a continuous 24-hour capability to perform surgical treatments on patients with acute cardiac conditions. Cardio-thoracic surgical services include reception services and comprehensive evaluation of operability and care planning.
- Coronary artery bypass graft
- Aortic repair surgery, artificial valve surgery
- Surgical repair of ventricular septal defect after myocardial infarction
- Aortic disease surgery
Cardio-thoracic diagnostics, treatments and surgery
- Planning the medical treatment, invasive sampling methods and surgical treatment of tumours, inflammation and injury of mediastinum, pleural cavity and thoracic wall
- Video-assisted thoracoscopy surgery (VATS)
- Robotic-assisted thoracoscopy surgery (RATS)
- Endoscopic exploration of mediastinum
- Diagnostic and therapeutic surveillance (bronchoscopy) of bronchial tubes and resulting actions (biopsy, dilatations, resections, stents)
Cardiac emergency and inpatient ward
The unit operates an emergency ward and cardio-thoracic inpatient ward, which serve the unit’s surgical treatment patients.
Cardiac anaesthesia and emergency care
Cardiac anaesthesia doctors are responsible for cardio-thoracic patients’ anaesthesia in the operating room and their postoperative care and monitoring in the cardiac high dependency ward. The cardiologist is on call 24/7, also participating in the treatment of acute patients.
If you have further questions about surgery, you can contact the cardio-thoracic nurse manager, Tel: +358 (0)3) 311 65188 (Mon-Fri from 13.00-14.00).